What is it?
Organo Tin Compounds or stannenes are chemical compounds based on tin with hydrocarbon substituent(s).
• Health hazards:
- Endocrine / central nervous system disruptors
- These substances may also cause damage to the liver, kidneys, blood-forming processes and disrupt the enzyme system.
• Environmental hazards:
- These organic compounds can be very harmful to aquatic life if present in high concentration.
Commonly found in:
Plastics, inks, paints and heat transfer material.
Related legislation (non-exhaustive):
• European Union: REACH Annex XVII, entry 20
• Switzerland: Chemical Risk Reduction Ordinance 814.81, (Regulation for reduction of risk when handling certain dangerous substances, preparation and articles)
Maximum limit (non-exhaustive):
European Union and Switzerland: Tri substituted organotin compounds, dibutylin (DBT), dioctylin (DOT): ≤0.1% (by weight of tin)
How TÜV SÜD can help:
TÜV SÜD has a dedicated technical solutions team to support you with root cause analysis, problem identification, suggestions for improvement and ensure that failures are minimized.
For more information on our Softlines services, please click here.